Christopher Hilton wrote:
Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
Is TMPFS available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?
Or do i have to settle for mfs?

[venting frustration]
The reason i ask is i need something very flexible when it comes to memory usage as a poor-mans shared-memory feature for a closed source data conversion app, used only occasionally but with *alot* of data passing through. By alot i mean it took our quad core xeon 3 ghz with 4 gbyte memory and 4 SAS drives in 1+0 RAID, about a day and a half to process (on disk). Simple tests (by others) using netbsd on a single cpu 3 ghz and tmpfs, it took roughly 70 minutes. Most of which was spent loading and unloading the data over the network. I'd really like that memory back after use for other things as this server is also serving databases with files etc.

I love FreeBSD enough to have run my personal webserver on FreeBSD-Sparc64 but I don't understand here. If NetBSD does the work in 70 minutes why not do it on NetBSD?

-- Chris

Curiosity got the best of you, huh? :)

I believe the environment could go without the damage this additional computer would do, in electricity alone, not to mention all the heavy metals in the computer.

I believe it wouldn't be progress to make the 4x core machine to run an operating system that, i believe, can't efficiently utilize the hardware ( ( heavy metals + electricity ) / utilization ).

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal