Chuck Robey wrote:
> redirected to -chat.

I just do reply all's so it goes where it goes...

For a more complete set of answers to the below issues see:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1424092+0+current/freebsd-current

> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> I am fully with Wilko here. We don't need to change the license
>>> or use any other means to beat our users over the head. We need
>>> them to understand the problem, and act as intelligent human
>>> beings. A lot of our users do this.  We have many crucial
>>> FreeBSD developers employed at companies which understand that
>>> developer support is key to FreeBSDs future. We just need more
>>> of that.
>
> You know, there's more than one way to see that.  I clearly recall
> being elated, at first, when I was first employed to do FreeBSD
> kernel work.  I did that, and a bunch of daemon work, and (like I
> often do, for work) I got heavily into it, nearly to the exclusion
> of all available hobby time (I really do like messing with
> computers).  You know what happened?  I found I had no time left,
> at all, for hobby FreeBSD work and I even left the mailing lists.
> I didn't leave FreeBSD work, but as far as you folks were
> concerned, I might as well have.

As far I know I am not purposing a system where you *MUST* recieve a
reward for your work just where it is possible via more direct means
then currently handled.

> As far as I'm concerned, I think that getting employed to do
> FreeBSD work is one great way to stop doing hobby computing.  Am I
> alone in this?  And beyond that, the work I was doing was stuff
> that the FreeBSD community wouldn't have been terribly  interested
> in.  Yes, the company could have showed a touch more *give back to
> the community* sort of actions, but they wren['t really the reason
> that I left FreeBSD; I was.
>
> Am I alone in this?

But forcing everyone to do it as a hobby unless your "lucky" enough to
work for an employer who supports the efforts is equal wrong.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools.
http://www.flosoft-systems.com