On Apr 2, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Marian Hettwer wrote:

Hi DES,

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:42:51 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Marian Hettwer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Actually you'll find a lot of applications in FreeBSD ports where you
wouldn't find them as a debian package for instance :) Especially in
regards to the version of this specific software.  Example?  Debian
Sarge --> No Apache 2.2

1) the latest Debian release is Etch, not Sarge

I know that the latest release is Etch. I never said that Sarge is the
latest release.
However, Sarge was around for a long period of time and my statement was:
No apache 2.2 there.

2) this is a matter of policy, not incompetence; packages associated
  with a particular release receive only bug fixes, not feature
  upgrades.

I know. I disagree with that policy, though.

<snip!>

I have always hated that with any distribution of Linux - it seems you can get a stable (1.4.x release for example) of something, but once many bugs are fixed upstream - perhaps in a 1.6.x release... you'll never see those changes unless you cast package management aside and build it yourself, or wait until the next distro release.