Hi list,
I'm a grad student at the School of Computational Science (a poorly chosen name for scientific computing) at FSU. My interests, while not necessarily scientific, is in machine learning. I work on software that trains classifiers on an 8 core Xeon machine and consumes about 15GB of RAM (needed when you train with 103k features!). All the development is presently done on Windows XP64, but I will eventually have to make the software cross platform. We ideally want to use icc (not the old one in ports!) or some other high performance compiler, but these simply don't exist on FreeBSD...we will unfortunately have to use Linux. Words can't even begin describe how gcc doesn't compare to compilers like icc or suncc. I'm very worried that FreeBSD will never take ahold in the HPC community, especially as computers ship with more cores (where FreeBSD is shining!) and make OpenMP, HPF, and similar more attractive than MPI. What can be done to expose FreeBSD to the HPC community? How can we get Intel, Sun and others to support HPC on FreeBSD? I really look forward to the day that FreeBSD runs on that 8 core machine, I'd like to see SMPng at work :)

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay