Chuck Robey wrote:

Warren Block wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

Daniel O'Connor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It turns out that uplcom(4) adapters don't support the required
speed of 50 baud anymore.

You know, it might actually support it if you hack up the driver.
The source says the PL2303X "can set any rate".

The data sheet disagrees.

"The flexible baud rate generator of PL-2303X could be programmed to
generate any rate between 75 bps and 6Mbps."

I guess you're out of luck then :(

Or just try it at 75 and see if there's enough slop to read the 50 baud
data.

There won't be, 50% is way too far off, I think (from experiments I did 30 years
back) that about 12% is the limit, when I had access to the best regenerators.
Regens don't even get used anymore.  I forget the actual limit I probed, but I
know 1/2 over is way too far to go.

first, in very round numbers,
  you get about five per cent error in the bit_time
  for fifty per cent error in ten bits.
usually, there are three reads, all near the center of the bit_time.
so, ya gotta be kinda close.
two per cent leaves plenty of room for slop.

i have an inexpensive hardware solution.

if any one is interested, please respond off_list, unless
  you think it appropriate for -chat.

rob