Sergey Zaharchenko wrote:
Hello Peter!

Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:56:05PM +1000 you wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:

Google Chrome is open source.  If you're really worried that it might be
secretly collecting data about you and sending it to Google ..
I just double-checked the thread, I could not see someone mentioning it:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as explained here. --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I read it correctly:

_Every_ time you type into your ('conveniently' combined) URL/search field, it gets immediately send to Google.

In other words: Google can record your webbrowsing.

You may be interested in knowing that the same feature is present in
other browsers. Get your proxy to ban urls containing
`google.com/complete/search' if that's a concern (as for me, it's just
annoying).

Yes, firefox etc also does exactly the same thing. You can just disable it in the browser configuration.

Kris