Here is a simple discussion that is probably more complex than I'd like it to be. Is there any way to enforce a UTF-8 encoding of a file, perhaps by filename extension? Could such an encoding solve cross platform line break incompatibility?

A wiki article states that such capability exists, but the tools aren't there yet. I suppose the easiest question to answer is, should users like me worry about it much?

I use unformatted text more and more for documents, saving the formatting step for late in the writing process. I like my text to be variable width and to reflow along paragraph demarcations. New line compatibility issues are annoying. Fixing them is not what I want to spend time doing.

Regards,
Jason