On Apr 14, 2009, at 6:24 PM, deeptec...@gmail.com wrote:

David Kelly wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:46:26AM +0200, deeptec...@gmail.com wrote:
Tabs are better, because they allow the programmer to specify the
desired width, and is dynamically changable at any time.
Spaces are better because they let the author specify the formatting and
not left to some other re-interpretation.

And indeed they should used where formatting is important. However, C/C++ indentation is not of this nature.

It is if you want your comments to stay lined up, and code remain readable.

There are many sections of code I write C in *columns*, especially when making repetitive calls to the same function with different arguments. I make the arguments line up in a column. printf() is a common example, that I want the arguments to line up no matter it has no effect on the output. I indent for readability and the result almost never survives variable tab interpretation.

If I write the code and indent 3 or 4 or 8 spaces then by golly thats the way it should remain. If there is a project format spec then it should be written in .indent.pro and I will use it and make sure my code is readable after a pass through indent(1). This notion of tabs as a flexible indent is flawed.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dke...@hiwaay.net