On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Jayton Garnett <jayton.garn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> FF4 only came out a few months ago and they're retiring it from security
> support? That's Lame. Really Lame.
> Oh well, it's a good thing it doesn't effect me because I only use Chrome.
> Versioning doesn't matter because 99% of the users are up to date within a
> few days of a new update / version being released. So it's just Chrome to
> me, not Chrome 12, 13 or 14, it just doesn't matter.

The goal for Firefox devs appears to be the same:  everyone is auto-updated
in the background so that everyone is always running the latest version of
Firefox (unless they disable that option in the settings).  Just like
Chrome.  In a few years, version numbers for Firefox and Chrome will be
equally as useless.

Which is going to make it absolute *hell* for OSes that compile their own
binaries (like the BSDs and most Linux distros) as they won't/can't support
the auto-update feature.  Which means we're going to have users with all
kinds of different versions for Firefox/Chrome.

Although, maybe this will force web developers to start checking for
*features* and not just blindly checking version numbers in User-Agent
strings.  If that happens, then I'm all for this forced-upgrade nonsense.
:)

> Does anyone take FF's rapid release roadmap serious? I know they're packing
> in lots of new features in, but surely there is a limit?
> I think IE9's UI is better than FF's, but I still prefer Chrome's.
>
> Chrome, IE9, and FF4+ all basically have the same UI now:
  - 1 row for tabs with 1 icon for accessing "menus"
  - 1 row for toolbar icons and address bar
  - dynamically hidden "status bar"

The only differences are that IE uses a tonne of extra space at the top of
the window for the Aero nonsense, Chrome removes the title bar, and Firefox
has a smaller title bar.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com