On 12/23/12 22:33, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
Hey all, I'm kind of in a bind and not sure where to turn (I've been searching online w/o much luck, it took me nearly three hours to find what I was looking for to start with).

Here's the deal:

I've been tasked with setting up some antique O27 Lionel's (from the 50's) by my uncle for my nephew. I've got almost everything except a Lock-On (to bring power to the rails from the transformer, a Lionel 1033; finding the lock-on took me 3 hours because I didn't know what I was looking for aside from "power to rails from track" essentially). Right now I'm looking for a non-destructive hackity-hack that will both bring power to the rails and allow the train free passage around the track (I've been doing some tests with test-lead clips to little success).

This only has to work for tomorrow, afterward I can order the Lock-On and wait for it to arrive.

Thanks, and once again sorry for the off-topicness.

If ever there was a post for alt.hackers this is it. :)

Couldn't you simply run power wires under the rails, strip back a small chunk of wire, and press the bare leads against the rail from the bottom using some tooth picks, popsicle sticks, or other suitable wedges? That section of track would need to be securely fastened to your board so the wedges didn't vibrate out of place.

That's assuming you don't want to get out a soldering iron since old lionel stuff can be collectable. Solder being semi-non-destructive unless you solder as well as I do.

Regards,
Jason