For the second time in my life I've been rooted. I found a barbut.bsd.core file and a talkng file in my /root directory. Barbut is some sort of binary that a webserver hack seems to download and run after a broken module provides access. That's bothersome enough.

But the very bothersome part is that I do not run any services on this box beyond what is needed to provide packet filtering and ftp-proxy. I have all accounts disabled. I only login after booting to single user mode on the console. I'm looking at the security advisories and I don't see one that seems to apply to my 8.2 system in my configuration.

So, short of an exploit in the network stack, pf, and ftp-proxy, what is a possible attack vector?

Regarding the security advisory lingo, does "unprivileged user" mean a remote attacker? Most (all?) of the advisories seem to involve local exploits or exploitable services.

Regards,
Jason C. Wells