On 03/21/15 06:39, Royce Williams wrote:
> Could you redact anything sensitive, and post your entire terms of
> reference?  Perhaps as a link from the original page?

Nothing sensitive; the terms of reference for all awards are available
via the university website.  Quoted text is the ToR, the rest is my
commentary on what it means and why it's there.

> The Open Source Software Engagement Award
> One award, valued at a minimum of $1,000, will be granted annually in any
> term to an undergraduate student who meets the following criteria:

Most "service" awards at SFU are $1000, so I went with the same amount.

Depending on the pool of applicants, I might give more money and have this
changed to "Two awards... to students of different genders" since (unlike
most of the university, where women are in the majority and receive an even
larger majority of awards) there is a distinct lack of women in OSS; on the
other hand, I don't want to create an award which zero or one people would
be eligible for each year.

> is enrolled full-time in a Bachelor’s degree program;
> is in good academic standing; and

Boilerplate requirements for undergraduate awards.  I decided to limit
this to undergrads because (a) most service awards are, and (b) it's
hard to compare contributions made by undergrads vs. grad students.

> has demonstrated excellence in contributing to an Open Source Software
> project(s) on a volunteer basis, consisting of code and/or documentation.

"demonstrated excellence" is mostly boilerplate text; it provides flexibility
to the committee if students apply who have made OSS contributions but they
are all so trivial as to be not deserving of recognition.

"contributing ... on a volunteer basis" is because I didn't want to simply
give an extra $1000 to students who were getting $5k from GSoC or even more
from summer co-op jobs.

"code and/or documentation" is because I wanted to clarify that, unlike
Google, I think documentation is a perfectly worthy contribution.

> Preference will be given to students who have taken a leadership role within
> a project.

In the language of terms of reference at SFU, "preference will be given" means
"the committee will look for students who satisfy this criterion, and if any
do then students who don't satisfy the this criterion won't be considered".

The words "leadership role within a project" are inherently vague, but cover
my feeling that students who "wear hats" (in FreeBSD-speak) are more worthy of
recognition than those who merely write code; herding cats is hard work.

> Applications must include:
> a list of contributions to the Open Source Software project(s); and,

Obviously, the committee needs to know what they're recognizing.

> a letter of reference from another project member describing the project and
> the applicant’s contributions.

This requirement implicitly but very deliberately excludes one-person open
source projects.  I did this because (a) I think a lot of the value of open
source software comes from its nature as a social endeavour, and (b) there
are a huge number of crappy one-person "open source projects" out there --
in a way, "has anyone else joined the project" is a filter for quality.

Letters of reference are also a large part of how applications for awards
are typically evaluated.  When I proposed this the university suggested that
it should be "from a supervisor", but I didn't think that would really work
given the often non-hierarchical nature of open source projects...

> The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication
> Committee.

This is the standard boilerplate text to indicate that this award goes to
the main university-wide committee to adjudicate.  It was suggested to me
that this award could be handled within the department of computer science,
and it's possible that we'll amend the terms of reference to that effect in
the future if SUAAC has too much difficulty evaluating OSS contributions
(I doubt humanities professors will know much about code, but they should
still be able to make a judgment based on the letter of reference); but I
find that a lot of good OSS contributions come from non-CS students, and
awards which are adjudicated within an individual department tend to only be
advertised to that department's students.

--
Colin Percival