It looks like some changes went in for probing devices.  Here is
where things appear to be going astray for me.  I have an etherlinkIII
3C5x9 isa card (ep0).  The probing is thinking that ed0 exists, and brings
up both ed0 and ep0 for the same card.  When the network starts up things
hang, and sometimes the system disk gets badly clobbered.

Disabling ed0 in the boot -c menu works makes things happy.

FYI

Later

Mark Hittinger
Mindspring/Netcom/Dallas