Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:23:21 -0800
   From: "David O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   I assume "--ignore-binary" or "--ignore-binary-files" would be the GNU
   longopt.

Another possibility would be to follow the example of the existing
--directories=ACTION option, e.g. something like this:

--binary-files=ACTION      how to handle binary files
                           ACTION is 'read', 'skip', or 'summarize' (default)
-I                         equivalent to --binary-files=skip
-a, --text                 equivalent to --binary-files=read