On Friday, 10 December 1999 at 19:04:33 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nate Williams writes:
>>> What we need here is a commitment to these new initiatives, not a lot of
>>> fence-sitting and clutching our knitting to our chests.
>>
>> If all our users were developers I would agree.  But *most* of our users
>> are not developers.
>
> -CURRENT should have very few users who are not developers in some
> capacity.

Agreed.  As I said earlier in the thread, the problem is that we're 5
weeks from releasing this code as 4.0-RELEASE.

I think we might be able to compromise here: issue 4.0 with a
disclaimer saying "AFAWK Cyrix DMA support is broken.  If you have a
Cyrix [IDE] chip, use 3.[45]-RELEASE instead.".

>> Good question.  What are we trying to achieve here?  I thought it was to
>> provide the best OS that is usable to the largest number of users?
>
> And this requires us to move away the old cruft so we force the
> people on the bleeding edge to test the new stuff.
>
> All in all, it sounds to me like a lot of people are presenting
> a stance which can be summarized as:
>
>       "why should *I* have to be guinea-pig for the ata driver
>       in -current make somebody else test it first."

I haven't noticed anybody doing that.  It's certainly not my concern;
as soon as I get home I'm going to try out the 5591 code and make sure
it works correctly.

> To which the answer is:  If you decide to run -current you have
> tacitly agreed to be a guinea-pig for FreeBSD developers, so
> shut up and test.

To which the answer is what I said above: today's -CURRENT is next
month's -RELEASE.

Greg
--
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key