On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:

>I'm sure everyone's seen my e-mail and others' e-mail about ATAPI in the
>ATA driver, at least, being broken (WRT CD-Rs).  The question is, does
>anyone have any idea at all why?  I tried reverting to just before the
>CDRIOC* changes, and that didn't help (using wormcontrol to test that).
>If any of you have any hints at all, please let me know.

I just wanted to add for all to see that prior to the CDRIOC* changes,
all was OK with my HP 8250i CD-RW unit, reading and writing both
worked fine.  After the changes, writing no longer works. All I get is
WRITE_BIG errors from burncd (the write light never turns on) then the
driver endlessly tries to reset the CD-R drive and I have to hit the
reset button to reboot.

My HP Colorado 8G ATAPI tape never probed/worked at all with the new
ATA driver.  Anyone out there have one that's working?

The wd* drivers, although obselete now, handled all of my ATA-ATAPI
stuff without any problems.

I find it hard to believe that 4.0 will get released with less
hardware support than 3.x.

-Bryan