On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 07:54:33PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Wait a sec.  I've reviewed all the messages from you and I think something
>     got mixed together.  I'm not convinced that your particular problems
>     are softupdates related.  I recommend turning off softupdates entirely
>     for a few days to find out.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what makes you think that. Could you elaborate?

>     I recommend enabling DDB in the kernel config.  The next time it locks
>     up switch to the console (if you were in X) - which should work - and
>     then ctl-alt-esc into DDB.  From there do a 'ps' and see if any processes
>     are stuck in weird states.

Allright. I've included options DDB and KTRACE in my kernel. I will disable
softupdates on all my filesystems and let the system run for a while. We'll
see what happens.

Besides, if the SCSI problem and these latest system hangs seem related to
you, then please note that the SCSI related hang was of an altogether
different nature (complete system hang instead of just i/o) and (important)
I've removed the SCSI disk from the system (and put in into another system
for separate testing) before I ever had version 1.47 of ffs_softdep.c. I've
not seen any log messages from the scsi driver since I removed the drive.
My system is and has always been running primarily from my IDE disk, though
/usr/src and /usr/obj used to reside on the scsi disk.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]