Peter Wemm wrote:

> Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> >  * From: Jason Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >  * > In function `_gettemp':
> >  * > mktemp.c(.text+0x3f0): undefined reference to `_libc_open'
> >  * > mktemp.c(.text+0x3f4): undefined reference to `_libc_open'
> >
> >  * libc successfully builds on Alpha with the changes I committed, though the
> >  * bootstrapping problem issue is the same.  As noted in another email I just
> >  * sent, do:
> >  *
> >  * cd /usr/src/lib/libc
> >  * make
> >  * make install
> >  *
> >  * before doing a buildworld.  This probably isn't the correct way of
> >  * resolving such bootstrapping issues, but it works.
> >
> > Thanks, it's getting a little further with that workaround but now I
> > get:
> >
> > =======
> >  :
> > ln -sf libutil.so.2 /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libutil.so
> > cd /usr/src/lib;  make depend;  make all;  make install
> > ===> csu/i386-elf
> > ===> libcom_err
> > ===> libcom_err/doc
> > ===> msun
> > ===> libmd
> > ===> libcrypt
> > ===> ../secure/lib/libcrypt
> > make: don't know how to make crypt-shs.c. Stop
>
> This is because of stale .depend files.  I got into the habbit of doing a
> rm -rf /usr/obj/* after Marcel's changes as earlier on it seemed to be
> leaving stale ones behind.  I don't know if this is still the case but it
> looks a bit like it.

There should be a dependency from ${.OBJDIR} to Makefile so that when
Makefile is updated, ${.OBJDIR} is removed. Removing sources from
makefiles is a good example of when stale data is left behind and I can
remember that this is exactly what happened for libcrypt...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/