On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> Hey gang:
>
> Somebody mentioned the other day that UFS async isn't entirely async, and
> that directories are (always) sync.  Is that true?

not afaik.

> Can somebody elaborate on why that is?

normal UFS mounts are async in respect to data, however
meta-data/directory-ops are done sync so that your filesystem doesn't
resemble the aftermath of "squril VS 18-wheeler" in the case of a power
outage/crash

you CAN mount UFS totally async, but then if you incorrectly shutdown your
box prepare to recreate the filesystem (*)

in 3.0 you have the option of 'softupdates' if you qualify for the
license, look in the /usr/src/contrib/sys/softupdates/README for an
explanation.

softupdates allow for safe async because writes to the meta-data are
ordered in a failsafe manner.

-Alfred

(*) i used to mount async for builds and compiling at times a while back,
i never had massive destruction, but you never know, i suspect renaming
your /usr and hitting the reset button would be considered fatal if timed
properly