OK.  I have tried to figure out how to boot off of my second IDE drive and I
am close, but I still haven't got it.  I need to boot wd2s1a.  Here is what
I have done.

Booting off of a floppy with the old boot blocks:

    1:wd(2,a)/boot/loader

    I get to the prompt and type:

    set currdev=disk2s1a
    set rootdev=disk2s1a

    when I type show, I see loaddev=disk2s1a:, but there does not seem to be
any documentation on this.  Anybody know if this is significant?  Anyway,  I
then do:

    boot -rootdev

And the kernel proceeds to boot and it actually mounts the correct root
(wd2s1a).  It shows the all the drives are clean and then it fails, stating
that it can't mount wd2s1a because the device is incompatible (or something
like that - I am running from memory, as I have blown my system with fdisk
(DOS) and am rebuilding) and then drops to a single user shell with /
mounted read-only.  It seems to me that it is having a problem going from
root as a read-only filesystem to a read-write filesystem.  I have tried
many combinations without success.  If it mounts root, it always fails
during the remount (fstab).  If I don't pass rootdev as an argument to the
kernel, it tries to mount wd1s1 and then it panics, obviously because there
is no [UFS] filesystem there.

Any ideas what else to try?

Tom Veldhouse
ve...@visi.com