Hey guys:

I thought I'd put this up for discussion here.

Does anyone have objections to changing the default behavior for how the
long password for fetch is chosen?

Most FTP servers which do check the password given for an anonymous login,
expect either 'username@' or 'usern...@valid.fqdn'.  If the password is
given just simply as 'usern...@host', login is refused.

Can we do one of the following changes?

        a) make 'username@' the default
        b) leave 'usern...@domain' the default, as long as it can be verified
           to be a valid domain name, otherwise make it 'username@'

Either way, the default could be overwritten by FTP_PASSWORD.  Sure, I could
achieve the above that way, too.  However, it appears to make more sense to
chose the described default than the current default, given the way anonymous
FTP works.

Please comment...

Cheers,
Chris

--
"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith

[Disclaimer: I speak for myself and my views are my own and not in any way to
             be construed as the views of BellSouth Corporation. ]