I just cvsup'd and made world, and rebuilt a kernel. (The last rebuild was
Jan 11).

NOW, /boot/loader cannot mount my root partition.

Luckily, boot2 can still load the new kernel properly.

Here is the pertinent info:

* No IDE drives, BUT 1 ATAPI CD-ROM on second IDE channel.
    Booting kernel reports no wdc0; cd-rom found on wdc1.

* SCSI controller (ncr0) with two SCSI disks at ID 2, and ID 3

* FreeBSD on ID 2; one slice only (s1), a is root, b is swap, e is usr
* ID 3 is /usr/junk

The boot/boot2 goes OK (reports 0:da(0,a)/boot/loader) and brings up the
loader OK.
The currdev is disk1s1a.
/boot/loader seems to boot the kernel OK.
/boot/boot.conf is empty.

kernel initializes and gets to the SCSI delay message, then panics:
Panic message is: "error 6: panic : cannount mount root (2)"

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ??

The previous boot/loader (Jan 11) booted this configuration fine!!