> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:
>
> > The old "unable to mount /, specified device does not match root
> > device" on booting.  My /etc/fstab had (working with -current from
> > just a few weeks ago):
> >
> > /dev/wd0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> >
> > I thought this was the new world order.. apparently not.  I had to change
> > it back to:
> >
> > /dev/wd0a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
>
> Just another datapoint: I just bumped into this too upon tipping over to 4.0.

Can you boot single-user and send me the output of 'mount'?

If you are showing "root_device" on /, you need to re-sup, rebuild and
reinstall your bootblocks, then go back to your old /etc/fstab.

Note that mount and fsck are supposed to ignore the /etc/fstab settings
for / if they can work out what's already there.

\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com