>     This code looks pretty bad, all right.  It looks like it is O(N^2)
   >     in PS_SELECT_WAIT(), especially if descriptors get randomly strewn
   >     amoungst the threads.  It also looks like it is regenerating the FDS
masks
   >     on each call completely from scratch.  It also looks like it is
   >     scanning the entire thread list - both waiting and running threads,
   >     to prioritize the next thread to run and then scanning it again
   >     to select the thread priority, then scanning the whole list yet
   >     again to find the one it wants to run.
   >
   >     This is massively unscaleable code.  Is anyone actively working on
   >     it?

I think if I knew exactly what this code was trying to do, I could
rewrite it. However, it is quite complex.

I'm tempted to look into Richard's stuff. However, this pthread stuff
is quite stable. (at least with a few minor tweaks). If this part
scaled a WHOLE LOT better, we'd probably be okay.

Richard: How "checked" in is your stuff? What does one have to do to
start using it? Kernel mods?

-Rob