I've just committed the FreeBSD svr4 emulator, which has been built
by adapting the stirling work of Christos Zoulas from the NetBSD project
to FreeBSD.

I hope I haven't left anything out or broken the world, but I'm sure
I'll hear about it if I have :-)

To use it:

  1.  Add "pseudo-device streams" to your kernel config file and rebuild,
      reboot.

  2.  Build and install the svr4 module in /sys/modules/svr4

  3.  Type "svr4" to start it up.

  4.  Grab compat_sol26.tar.gz or compat_svr4.tar.gz from
      http://www.freebsd.org/~newton/freebsd-svr4 and install them in
      /compat/svr4

  5.  Run "sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all" in /compat/svr4/dev

  6.  Mount a Solaris/x86 CD-ROM on /cdrom

  7.  Brand any executables you want to run

  8.  See if they work.

It's early days yet, folks -- You'll probably have trouble getting 100%
functionality out of most things (specifically, poll() on a socket doesn't
look like it works at the moment, so Netscape doesn't work (among other
things)).  Patches will be appreciated.

I'll be putting the compat_*.tar.gz archives into /usr/share/examples
with a README file RSN (I haven't written a Makefile for them yet,
though, hence the delay).

Regards,

    - mark