:maxusers       256

    Try reducing maxusers to 128.  Another person reported similar behavior
    to me and after a bunch of work he tried going back to a basic
    distribution -- and everything started working again.

    It turned out that a maxusers value of 256 and 512 were causing his machine
    to go poof, but a maxusers value of 128 worked fine.

    I haven't tracked the problem down yet.  Please try reducing your maxusers
    to 128 and email the results to current.

                                                    -Matt