> I keep on hearing about how we're losing because we don't have the 3
> month old latest feature

With EGCS the issue isn't having the latest 3 mo. feature, but we have a
totally BROKEN C++ compiler.

The STL with it is broken, and it is so far from the ISO C++ standard,
it really can't be called C++ any longer.

> Every time I see a post that is one-sidedly aimed towards the latest
> untested thing

I'm working on the egcs 1.1.x branch.  I wouldn't go near their HEAD
branch for FreeBSD use.  I distrust that code more than I do Micro$oft's.

> Yes, let's try egcs.  I want to do buildworlds/installworlds/new kernel
> builds here with it for a while.

What I have won't build kernels yet.  I could hack our system Makefiles
to use different compile options, but I don't like that approach.  So
I'm working on adding our compiler flags and such.

> Could I install egcs out of ports, and do that testing?  I want to do
> that, if it would contribute.

Last I tried, no.

IMHO, we are a ways off, but we need to at least be working on it.

--
-- David    (obr...@nuxi.com  -or-  obr...@freebsd.org)