I don't use DIAGNOSTIC because it's overly intrusive and cause cause
    panics or create bugs where none exist.

    At least that was true in 2.2.x.  I remember trying to use it at BEST.
    The result was continually crashing machines due to bugs in the diagnostic
    code ( such as diagnostics that were using a blocking malloc() inside an
    interrupt ).

    Personally, I would be happier if DIAGNOSTIC were ripped out entirely
    and replaced with something less intrusive.

                                                -Matt