> The current rc.conf system doesn't seem to allow for separating out host
> identity from host configuration.

Just to squash this; yes, it does.

> As a result I'm not able to create a
> site-wide rc.conf file and rdist it to multiple machines, configured
> identically except for having distinct own host names.  I think some
> very basic information identifying a host should be kept in its own
> place:

You can do this trivially.  Put the data in /etc/rc.conf.site, and
include it at the end of /etc/rc.conf.  rc.conf then contains
per-system configuration information, and rc.conf.site can be rdist'ed
around.

\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com