I always use both (because it's in my darn makefiles :P), but that sounds
correct to me. If it said -mpentium implied -march=pentium, i'd say it's
lying.
most of the -m<whatever architecture> alone are worthless, it's the
-march's that matter (note i say most to mean of the 4 architectures i've
played with -m and -march on).