On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > As a workaround for a static binary, you should be able to use
> >   -Xlinker -Bstatic
> > instead of
> >   -static
>
> Actually, it appears that just -Xlinker is necessary; it works
> fine in conjunction with -static.  Thanks for this most helpful
> tip!  I can see a *lot* of scenarios where I'll be using
> -Xlinker in the future.  I didn't even know about that flag. :)

This is because `-Xlinker -static' is equivalent to `-Xlinker -Bstatic'
in the elf case.  Passing -static to the linker used to be a common
error.  The aout linker doesn't understand -static; it has sloppy args
checking and misinterprets -static as -s (strip).

-Xlinker alone is bogus.  -Xlinker is not an option; it modifies the
next option by causing it to be passed to the linker instead of
interpreted by the compiler.

I didn't know about -Xlinker either :-).  It is normally spelled `-Wl,'.

Bruce