>     If it's a redirected output file you simply make it O_APPEND, at which
>     point the seek offset in the descriptor becomes irrelevant.

As others have pointed out, O_APPEND is much newer than the
offset-sharing behavior.

It also doesn't fix things for inputs.  Of course with buffering, it's
hard for it to have sensible semantics, but for some commands, it does
work and can even useful.

While I doubt many scripts rely on such behavior, it does avoid
inconsistencies between internal and external commands, as well as
files, ttys and pipes.