Hi,
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > # vinum start
>
> You don't need to do this unless you already have objects defined from
> an earlier run of vinum.
Ah, ok.

> > # vinum resetconfig
>
> You never need to do this after a start.  To quote vinum(8):
I was aware of the fact that this command ist not for the normal use.
I just wanted to set a clean startingpoint for this example.

> Not much.  It's trivial to implement, but just another way of shooting
> yourself in the foot.
I find the configfile appropriate for initial confiurations.
But what is the best method if one disk faults and gets replaced.
Then I shouldn't need the overall confguration.
Unfortunately the documentation is not that specific about this point, one
should need only to recreate the subdisks which laid on the faulty disk after
creating a vinum slice on the fresh disk, right?
Or does vinum replicates itself after the failure onto the fresh disk?

> > I suspect one will not have a r/w filesystem in worst case scenarios
> > for creating vinum createfiles (And even if, `ed` is not my friend.)
>
> Hmm.  I suppose that might be an argument.  But vinum(8) doesn't offer
> you much in the way of editing facilities either.
A command history and commandline editing :-)

And many thanks for helping anyway!

Bye!
----
Michael Reifenberger