Brian Feldman once stated:

=> Once again - HOW I can limit CPU usage by *kernel* ? Also, I've just
=> tried set maxprocesses 5. And it helpless. With 5 processes limit
=> user was able to slow down P2-450 computer. Switching between windows
=> in X was VERY slow. Mouse movements was slow down too.

=> CPU states: 32.3% user,  0.0% nice, 67.2% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.5% idle

=If you want to preempt other tasks, make that user's tasks niced!!

Which user? You don't know until it happens... And the mentioned
already baseball bat is more effective _after_ the fact. The question
is, is it possible to prevent this from happening in the first
place, without quering the Human Resources department for each
user's mental profile?..

        -mi