Ladavac Marino wrote:

>         Another strategy is to reserve the swap space as soon as it is
> allocated by the program.  This strategy is much more conservative and
> inherently safer, but it needs much more space: for instance, if you
> have a program with WSS of a gigabyte and you want to system( "date" ),
> you will need at least 2 gigs of swap because system() does fork() first
> which means that you get 2 copies of your big program and the system
> cannot know that in one of the copies an exec() will be shortly
> forthcoming--thus, it has to reserve the full WSS for the copy because
> it will potentially write to all pages of its WSS.
>
>         It would be nice if memory overcommit were configurable (on-off,
> or per process).

On AIX, you can have it set as a global option and on/off per
process. In my experience, though, setting it to off never solved
anything: if you need memory, you have to add memory.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
d...@newsguy.com

        "nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"