On 1 May 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Soren Schmidt <s...@freebsd.dk> writes:
> > [...]
> > There are lots of better cards out there, but stating that the 3c509
> > doesn't work, is totally out in the dark...
>
> Well, excuse me for breathing. I'll just take your word, and dismiss
> the problems I've had with flaky 3c509s (about two thirds of those
> I've encountered have been flaky) as mere hallucinations.

Well, if it's any reassurance at all, a friend of mine recently switched
to FreeBSD from Andrew Linux, and the 3c509 was flaky under Linux, but
seems to work fine under FreeBSD.  Given past experiences, I advised him
not to put it under too high a load, but since it's just a crash machine
anyway..  They were really amused when the FreeBSD boot sequence announced
that the card was known buggy and something should be done about it, and
they commented that that was exactly right and they were pretty impressed.
Even more so when the card worked for a change.

  Robert N Watson

rob...@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/