>> "RW" == Robert Watson <rob...@cyrus.watson.org> writes:

    RW> So will bitkeeper provide a nice interface for migrating code
    RW> from an existing and well-established CVS repository to
    RW> whatever they use?

I've looked at bitkeeper and wonder what exactly are it's advantages
over CVS. It's model looks very much geared towards the fragmented way
Linux is developed, offering no advantages for more centralized models
such as FreeBSD or most commercial internal environments.

In the Linux environment the 'patch' is everything, and the kernel
looks like a big pile of 'patches' to me. Thus in bitkeeper generating
these patch sets (containing history & log messages) to submit from
one repository to another is important, because people exchange
patches all the time.

The other thing is some graphic tools (written in tcl/tk) but there
are also some of such GUI layers for CVS, though they've never become
very popular because the command line (combined with UNIX pipes &
std. commands, filters) cannot be beaten for this type of work IMO.

I'd suggest to at least wait a (long) while to see how it is
developing. At the moment I see absolutely no advantage for more
centralized development models.

--
Peter Mutsaers |  Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know
p...@xs4all.nl  |  the Netherlands    | what I'm doing.