In what may have seemed a desperate move to try to find out where
the sound drivers decided to stop, I took a look at my config file.
I tried to change the attachment of the pcm device from isa? to nexus?,
trying to move it closer to the source of the interrupts.  (This is with an
SB PCI 128)
When I had rebuilt the kernel and rebooted, the error messages seemed
a bit different.
It was actually suggested that I should try to use pcm0 instead of pcm1.
A quick remake of the devices, and suddenly, the sound was back.

Will this approach solve the problems for you other people with
the same problem?

Regards.
--
Erik H. Bakke