This is late, but a few hours ago, phk chopped out some old stuff from
config(8) and removed some backwards compatability warnings.

A summary of the changes:

If you had old "tty", "bio", "net", "cam" flags, these are obsolete and will
now cause a syntax error rather than a warning.

If you had old "vector xxxintr", it will now cause a syntax error rather than
a warning.

Most people would have been getting these warnings for a month or so and
will have taken them out already.

'config kernel root on xx0' is gone and will cause a (non-fatal) error.

The old config line is mostly no longer required.  I say mostly, because
there are some circumstances where people used it to change the default
kernel name or force a different root device to the boot device.

Forcing a different root device can be done with the following (in the config
file itself, or in /etc/make.conf):
options ROOTDEVICE=\"wd0s1e\"

If you want to call your kernel something else, try this in the config file:
makeoptions KERNEL=vmunix
Or use add 'KERNEL=vmunix' to /etc/make.conf, or whatever.

This will compile the kernel called "vmunix" and install it as /vmunix
and deal with /vmunix.old etc.  The KERNEL option has pretty much been
working for some time now, although it wasn't "discovered" until now.

What does this mean for -current users?  Not a lot..  The average user can
just delete the config line entirely and forget about it.  The old defunct
keywords need to be deleted  (bio, net, tty, vector etc).

It should be noted that config(8) is destined to die sooner or later and
almost certainly never make it to a release branch.

Removal of the port/irq/iomem/drq etc keywords is on the agenda, but it's
not clear if they will go completely away since we need a way to run without
loader(8) if possible.

The Alpha build is (still) broken...

(BTW; Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't delete it.  But I do happen to
 think it's basically OK, apart from the loss of 'config vmunix' - that
 should be fairly easy to remap if a lot of people are going to be
 affected.  Remember, even with remapping, the config lines would need
 an edit.)

Cheers,
-Peter