> > If ``make cleandir'' is leaving some cruft in any form behind anyplace
> > in the build tree things are broken.
>
> Sounds very reasonable to me. Running the same command twice to get
> things really clean sounds suspicious ;-)

Let me explain ``make cleandir'' then.
*IF* you have a /usr/obj/usr/src/ tree, then ``make cleandir'' will clean
that tree out.  Thus if somehow you have junk in /usr/src/, it will not
get cleaned out.  On the second run of ``make cleandir'' it will notice
that /usr/obj/ is empty and assume you were building "in-place" and clean
out /usr/src/.

    cd /usr/src ; make cleandir ; make cleandir

solves weird build problems much of the time.

--
-- David    (obr...@nuxi.com  -or-  obr...@freebsd.org)