On Thu, 6 May 1999, Tomer Weller wrote:

> whenever i try to compile KDE software (ports also) i get this error, though
> packages install fine.
> i installed KDE from packages, i suspect that's the problem.

I didn't see a response to this as I was going through my inbox, so apologies
if this has already been answered:

What version of FreeBSD are you running, and which compiler? If you're using
egcs as your compiler (either running 4.0, or [23].x + egcs port, then you
have to compile the KDE dependencies manually using the same compiler or it
will not work. In other words, egcs produces C++ code which is not
binary-compatible with that produced by gcc (e.g., the package).

You can tell whether this is the case by looking at the error log produced by
the port configure script.

Kris

> this is from the kmp3 port, but happens with every piece of kde software :
>

> checking for KDE... libraries /usr/local/lib, headers /usr/local/include
> checking for extra includes... no
> checking for extra libs... no
> checking for kde headers installed... yes
> checking for kde libraries installed... configure: error: your system fails
> at linking a small KDE application!
> Check, if your compiler is installed correctly and if you have used the
> same compiler to compile qt and kdelibs as you did use now
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>

> ======================================
>  Tomer Weller
>  s...@i.am
>  well...@netvision.net.il
>  "Drugs are good, and if you do'em
>  pepole think that you're cool", NoFX

-----
"That suit's sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that's been
rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into
someone's eye"
"Wow, that's sharp!" - Ace Rimmer and the Cat, _Red Dwarf_