Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > I was just wondering if anyone has gotten a soundcard based on the Vortex
> > chip to work under FreeBSD. I know that OSS (www.opensound.com) supports
> > it, but I don't want to use OSS because of the problems with it. If nobody
> > has gotten that card to work, then can someone point me in the right
> > direction to getting specs for the card and any how-to type advice on
> > writing the driver myself for FreeBSD. I'd be willing to donate the driver
> > to the project if I get it working well. Thanks.

It's not supported, mostly because Aureal refused to release the specs
(as far as I know).  However, several people (Cameron Grant and Doug
Rabson) are currently working on the new sound code, and according to
their postings to freebsd-multimedia, they already have an "almost
functional" Aureal Vortex 1 driver.

Dean