On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:09:00 -0400 (EDT), Brian Feldman <gr...@unixhelp.org>
> said:
>
> > FWIW, I think only a fool would want a computer to NOT drop dead
> > connections.
> > Any "connection" that doesn't respond after 8 $^&! tries spaced FAR apart
> > does
> > NOT deserve to stay.
>
> If they are spaced too far apart, it is possible for perfectly
> legitimate connections to get shot down as a result of external
> periodicities.  (Does somebody's router reset every day at 2:45?  If
> so, better hope no keepalives are scheduled for then!)

But remember that the idea is the keepalive would keep trying for a certain
amount of time, and this would be finely configureable.

> -GAWollman
>
> --
> Garrett A. Wollman   | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the
> same
> woll...@lcs.mit.edu  | O Siem / The fires of freedom
> Opinions not those of| Dance in the burning flame
> MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/