On 5/4/10 1:26 AM, Reinhard Haller wrote:

The goal of PBIs as Julian proposed is to simplify the automatic
generation of simple apps.

well, it's to make some working apps available, that don't interfere
with other working apps.

To achieve this goal we get another ports management application and
hope it handles also the non trivial tasks of the non simple apps.

there is a PBI helper app. but PBIs are actually executables with the
installation app built in.

If the PBIs come with all libraries and resources we get even more
problems with multiple db installations not less.

not that's the whole point. The app has it's own linraries HIDDEN within itself.
it can not interfere with other apps.
(except in a port-number manner) but generally
apps for which PBIs are good do not do that sort of thing.
I would imagine a base system with useful utilities installed by PBI,
(so the keep working) and all the development apps and libraries
installed by ports/packages. that way your system keeps working, no matter how you screw up your fancy development setup.

Are configuration dependencies (exim with or without ldap) addressed
with the PBI format?

not usually but if you can make your own...

I believe we need a more precise way to express the dependencies between
the ports.

well there is  a GSOC project that hopes to do that.

Reinhard