On 08/16/2010 00:47, sth...@nethelp.no wrote:
If I only wanted a kernel and everything else as installable packages,
I might as well use one of the Linux distributions.

That wasn't at all what I said, or what I was suggesting. There is a middle ground between "everything is a package" and the status quo. The fact that people keep asking for more things to be in the base that clearly don't/can't belong there is evidence of this.

Meanwhile, to respond more or less generally to some of the specific responses I received:

1. My descriptions of the various possible things to import were meant to be tongue-in-cheek, not exhaustive technical reviews of the alternatives. The fact that some people "bit" on those, particularly the ones that described rabid user communities, is, well, funny. :)

2. phk's description of the the situation with tcl is both more eloquent and more complete than I could have come up with, which is why I didn't mention it in my previous post. Although the situation with perl is more vivid for me since I was directly affected by it my recollections of the tcl thing match his description, and more importantly I agree with him that it should be viewed as a cautionary tale.

3. In case I wasn't clear in my last post the correct answer at this time is neither "import more stuff into the base" nor "turn more things into packages." It's "write good apps using the tool(s) of your own choosing and we'll find a way to make it work."

Doug

                        -- Pablo Picasso