On 08/21/10 16:54, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Nathan Whitehorn<nwhiteh...@freebsd.org>  writes:
I'm the first to admit that many of the config tricks involved in this
port, and GENERIC64, are ugly hacks, largely because config(8) was not
designed with such things in mind.
It's not just "config tricks and ugly hacks", it also violates the
assumption that target names are unique.
This was discussed on arch several months ago. Breaking that assumption seems much better, in the long term, than any of the alternatives in order to accomodate mips[64][el|eb], arm[eb], powerpc[64], and any other similar situations we may run into in the future. Sharing an include/machine directory, which is a side effect, also means that things like cc -m32 work out of the box.
To address the immediate problem, I think the best solution is to use
the -m option to config to reject kernel configs for different
architectures,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (or rather, how it would help
the tinderbox).  What *would* help would be an easy way to determine,
*before* trying to build it, whether a specific kernel config is
appropriate for a specific target.  Can you think of an easier way to do
this than to scan the config for the "machine" line?
That's exactly what I proposed. You use config, before trying the build, to look up the machine specification for the config file. I sent you a 5 line patch to tinderbox.pl that does this by private email. Other alternatives would be having sys/$MACHINE/conf.$MACHINE_ARCH directories or something, but that invites far more breakage.
-Nathan