On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Buganini wrote:

BTW, it seems that DVD burning with ahci is broken, burning a CD is okay, but I never burn a DVD sucessfully with ahci. Always get somethings like "unable to wr...@60h input/output error" and many "(cd0:ahcich2:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST csi:43,0,0,c asc:24,0 (Invalid field in CDB): Command byte 6 is invalid" in dmesg,

With ahci unloaded, I see "(cd0:ata4:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST csi:43,0,0,c asc:24,0 (Invalid field in CDB): Command byte 6 is invalid" once, but it works.

But I can read data DVD with ahci and sucessfully verify data with diff.

While I have not had time to narrow it down, I have also had problems with burning DVD+R on my drive (LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S 9L09) with the ahci driver on 8-STABLE using cdrecord. However, CD-RW's and DVD+RW's are not a problem. At the beginning of a failed burn, it seems like there is a short pause near the beginning (maybe after a block or two has been written, but I do not recall).

If I find time, I will try again to burn a disc along with collecting all the debugging information I can.

One thing I need to try, and you may too, is to see if there are any firmware updates for the drive. I see there is one for mine which I will try. Unfortunately, it does not say on the site what it improves unless the "Match more media" is it.

Sean
--
s...@freebsd.org