Thank you for your suggestion, Sean.

I faced this kind of problem both on FreeBSD and FreeBSD(98) because I
mis-upgraded to current system. Anyway I tried your suggestion for
both.

On FreeBSD it was successful and there seems no problem.
On FreeBSD(98) there is still a '/dev/:0 problem'.

I'll answer about pc98.

S> Do you have something odd in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers?

No. Xservers has only one line.

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -once -bpp 16 -deferglyphs all

S> Did you completely remove and recreate /dev ... could there be
S> an old socket kicking around (/var/run)?  What about under
S> /tmp/.X11-unix ?

I recreated /dev/* with newer MAKEDEV script (1.242). /tmp is
mounted by mfs.

S> Also, you may have some old pollution kicking around (like versions
S> of chown and chmod in the wrong places ... see /usr/src/UPDATING)
S> from 3.X days.

Just removed old chown and chgrp.

S> Lastly, did you copy /dev/null over /var/run/utmp and /var/log/wtmp
S> ... you could be bitten by a formatting change.   Are your shells
S> completely rebuilt?  What about ssh?  or some form xterm replacement?

I executed

cp /dev/null /var/run/utmp
cp /dev/null /var/log/wtmp

and others(bash2, ssh, kterm and fvwm2) are also rebuilt. Ssh is
openssh in the src tree. Then,

nakaji@xa12:nakaji$ w
w: /dev/:0: No such file or directory
 8:31PM  up 12 mins, 1 user, load averages: 1.15, 0.59, 0.24
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
nakaji           p1       :0.0              8:31PM     - w
nakaji@xa12:nakaji$ finger
finger: /dev//:0: No such file or directory
Login            Name                 TTY  Idle  Login Time   Office  Phone
nakaji           NAKAJI Hiroyuki      p1         Wed    20:31
nakaji           NAKAJI Hiroyuki     *:0         Wed    20:20

There is still 'No such file or directory'. :(

S> Rapidly running out of ideas, good luck

I'll recheck the steps for upgrading my system. Thanks.
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki