Firstly, a big thank-you to all the developers for their work on 4.x.

I've just u/g 3.4-STABLE -> 4.0, following the instructions in
/usr/source/UPDATING using sources cvsup'd 10:00GMT 4th March, and
although it went quite smoothly came across a few minor problems
which I'm posting here in case anyone is interested.

1. This message appeared 166 times during ``make buildworld'':

        /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found

   It also caused config(8) on the new kernel to fail, but

        ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc

   cured that.

2. UPDATING includes the following in the instructions to build the
   new kernel:

        cd src/usr.bin/genassym
        make depend all install clean
        cd ../../usr.sbin/config
        make depend all install clean

   however doing a ``make clean'' at this point then causes ``make
   installworld'' fail in those directories.

3. This probably won't affect most people but I'm including it so
   it's in the mail archives.

   I have a Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI card (NCR/Symbios 53c875j
   chip) and my 2nd (UW SCSI) disk is a single slice (although
   *not* dangerously dedicated) mounted as /usr. As this disk is
   not a boot device I had not enabled boot probing for it in the
   SCSI BIOS but under 2.2.x and 3.x it was still found by the old
   ncr driver.

   The new sym driver, however, failed to find the disk and caused
   a "device not configured" error from mount(8) which resulted in
   the boot-up dropping to single-user. It took me a while to find
   the cause (I thought it was a problem, or my mistake, when making
   the new device nodes for the disks).

        Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
        BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
                                      -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000