On 10.05.2011 02:48, Doug Barton wrote:
I would start from most obvious problems. I need to know more about
crashes. As usual: how to trigger, stack backtraces, etc.

Triggering is easy, I can start a buildworld with -j2, and a build of
ports/www/firefox with FORCE_MAKE_JOBS, and within 30 minutes the system
will reboot. I posted a panic message relative to r220282, (-current
archives, 4/4) but kib said it didn't make any sense. Usually I don't
get a panic at all.

Could you hint me the thread?

Go to http://www.FreeBSD.org/
Click 'mailing lists'
Click 'listed in the FreeBSD Handbook.'
Click freebsd-current
Click freebsd-current Archives
Click April 2011
search for r220282
Voila! :)

OK, but URL would be fine also. :) I am agree with kib@ -- the message doesn't match the backtrace.

What's about time problems, I would try to collect more data:
- show `sysctl kern.eventtimer`, `sysctl kern.timecounter` and verbose
dmesg outputs;

http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/dougb-current-r221566.txt

- what eventtimer is used now and does it helps to switch to another
one with kern.eventtimer.timer sysctl?

When I was trying to track down the problems last summer I vaguely
remember trying RTC, but eventually we realized that the real problem
was throttling, so I stopped specifying RTC and let it go back to the
default. What do you suggest I try?

As I see, now you are using HPET (chosen automatically). I would try
switch to the LAPIC. Just make sure to disable C-states if you are
enabled them to be sure that LAPIC timer won't stop.

Ok, so kern.eventtimer.timer="LAPIC" in /boot/loader.conf should do
that, right?

Yes. You can do it in run-time also.

I don't use C-states (in part as a result of previous investigation) but
I do use powerd as such:
powerd_flags="-a adaptive -b adaptive -n adaptive"

- does the timer runs in periodic or one-shot mode and does it helps to
switch to another one?

How could I tell, and how would I switch?

`sysctl kern.eventtimer.periodic`.

kern.eventtimer.periodic: 0

And read eventtimers(4) please.

I did that, but I don't see anything in there as to which choice is
one-shot, and how to change to periodic. I assume 0 is the default,
which I also assume is one-shot. Does setting that to 1 change to
periodic? Also, can I safely do this while the system is running, or
should it be in /boot/loader.conf as well?

Yes, nonzero value means periodic. And yes, changing in run-time is safe.

--
Alexander Motin